Appellate Advocates is currently soliciting applications for a Paralegal position.
Appellate Advocates is a nonprofit public defender organization, based in New York City, providing high-quality representation of individuals who have been convicted of crimes in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island and cannot afford private lawyers. We are a group of attorneys from diverse backgrounds who are experienced in criminal law and believe in fighting for every person’s constitutional right to a fair trial and in working to overturn unjust convictions and sentences and provide other post-conviction services.
Appellate Advocates is deeply committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. To this end, we seek to:
· Hire staff that reflect the full range of racial, ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic identities of the communities we represent, particularly those communities disproportionately impacted by the criminal justice system;
· Ensure a workplace where diversity and inclusion is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged; and
· Ensure that all staff members feel welcome, respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the organization.
We are seeking a paralegal to join our team. Responsibilities will include opening and maintaining case-files; screening appellate records for completeness; entering and/or retrieving client information maintained in a computer database; assembling exhibits for motions and appendices in Court filings; obtaining records from agencies, courts and prisons; filing notices with courts; corresponding with clients; closing cases; scanning hard copy documents to PDF; and covering reception desk in receptionist’s absence. The position may also include regular travel to Correctional Facilities throughout the state to meet with clients whose cases are pending
Individuals with the following qualifications should apply:
· An interest in criminal defense and social justice
· Strong organizational skills and rigorous attention to detail
· Well-developed Interpersonal communication skills
· Bi-lingual capabilities valued
· A self-directed ability to manage multiple tasks
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access; Wordperfect; Adobe Acrobat
Salary: Dependent on Experience
Application Deadline: 12/20/2019
To apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Appellate Advocates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages people of color and from diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.